Microsoft have begun rolling out a new Focused Inbox feature on Outlook, which effectively splits your mailbox into two tabs, Focused and Other. It replaces the old Clutter feature previously in your mailbox.
How does it work?
The Focused Inbox works by displaying your most important email messages in the Focus tab, and any additional email messages are accessible in the Other tab. You can switch between tabs at any time.
As our work days get busier, we are inundated with more information, communications and emails that need our attention. This tool helps us to cut through that mess and focus on the emails that matter most.
Not only can you take control and prioritize what is actionable for you, the Focused Inbox additionally gets an understanding of the people you interact with often, as well as the content of the email itself, to determine which tab the email goes into. If it is incorrectly filtered, just use the ‘Move to Focused’ or ‘Move to Other’ option.
And for those who just cannot manage with this feature, there is the option to turn it off:
- Select the View tab
- Select Show Focused Inbox
- The Focused and Other tabs will disappear from the top of your mailbox
OUTLOOK ON THE WEB
- Select Settings (cog icon) > Display settings > Focused Inbox
- Under When email is received, select Don’t sort messages
- Click OK
- Click the menu button at the top of your screen (three lines)
- Choose Settings (Cog icon)
- Use the Focused Inbox slider to turn Focused Inbox off